– 3 romaine hearts
– 1 small regular cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2” dice
– 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
– 15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half or 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2” dice
– 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
– 30 kalamata olives, pitted
– about 1/3 cup Classic Red Wine
– 3 ounces feta cheese, grate or crumbled (about 2/3 cup)
– 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into 1” strips
– Serves 6
- Remove the core from the romaine hearts. Carefully rinse the leaves under gently running cold water, drain them well, and spin them dry. Cut the leaves crosswise into 1” strips.
- Just before you plan to serve the salad, place the romaine in a large salad bowl. Add the cucumbers, ions, tomatoes, capers and olives and toss to combine. Add about 1/2 the vinaigrette. Toss to lightly coat the leaves, then taste them to see if more vinaigrette is needed.
- Transfer the salad to a platter or individual salad plates. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top and garnish with some of the bell pepper strips. Serve immediately.
- GOODMAN, M. and HOLLAND, L., 2006. Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook. Workman Publishing Company.