Here at Core Balance Movement our goal is to help each individual move with greater ease and less stress on the body. We help educate our clients on how to use our body’s natural healing ability to restore normal range of motion.
What is Kinesio Taping (KT) Method?
KT is a rehabilitative taping technique created by Dr. Kenzo Kase, a chiropractor and acupuncturist who wanted a method that would assist the body’s natural healing ability. In cases of injury or overuse, the muscle loses elasticity. The KT tape and application method was developed in 1979 after 6 years of research and clinical studies to have the same elasticity of healthy human skin, microscopically lifting the skin to aid in the healing process. KT communicates to the brain via the skin using the tape to help stimulate and increase blood flow to a specific organ(s) and can be applied to athletes, babies and geriatric populations.
KT is rooted in Eastern Medicine color therapy principles. Red is meant to stimulate and activate tissue. Blue is meant to be cooling and sedative to the nervous system. Black absorbs heat and is heat activated with warming properties. KT is a therapeutic modality that can be applied and worn for an event, for a few hours or between clinical visits with continued therapeutic benefits.
How is Kinesio Taping different from other athletic tape?
Most athletic tape is used to provide additional support to a joint by restricting its movement(s). KT tape allows for normal range of motion, increased blood flow circulation to damaged tissue, facilitating the body’s natural healing process while providing support and stability to muscles and joints, soft tissue manipulation. Latex free product with dyes that are hypoallergenic, derived from plant extracts.
Why Kinesio Taping?
KT has been clinically proven in multiple research publications to be more effective than other forms of taping modalities currently available to the public. KT is commonly used to treat any stage of rehab including injury prevention, acute, subacute, chronic, and post surgical:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Ankle Sprain(s)/Strain(s)
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL)
- Sprained/Strained groin muscle(s)
- Circulatory/Lymphatic drainage
- Pre/Post Pregnancy Back Pain
- Diastasis Recti
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Tennis Elbow/Rower’s Elbow
- Shoulder Rotator Cuff injuries
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS)
- Allows for normal range of motion
- Therapeutic benefits achieved by tissue glide, decompression or compression
- Can be worn 3 to 5 days with good skin tolerance
- Effective treatment between professional visits
- Safe for most populations
- Dr. Jean-Claude Guimberteau demonstrates that there are no distinct layers of tissues. We can treat the skin to influence the deeper tissues demonstrating the systems glide and slide. Click here to watch the interconnections of tissues in moving structures in vivo.
- Dr. Stephen Levin an orthopedic surgeon believes our body is not a system of levers but rather stabilized by tension and compression elements. His work demonstrates our tissues distribute tension in a hierarchical and organized way. Click here to learn more.
- Dr. Donald Ingber writes the physical forces applied to cells are transformed in cytoskeleton to chemical signals in a process known as mechanotransduction. The application of Kinesio Tex Tape changes the tension elements in tissues which react and compensate. The rigidity of the structure then changes over time. Click here to read his paper.
- Dr. Shihfan and colleagues compared tissue movements and tissue boundary shear before and after Kinesio Taping was applied. The results demonstrate Kinesio Taping may reduce shear and tissue movements during lumbar flexion. Click here to read more.
- Dr. Hans and colleagues studied patients post heart surgery who received taping vs. control group who did not receive any tape. The pain report, opioid pain medication use, and patient perception of lung function were compared. The patients in the taping group reported significantly less pain, consumed less pain medication and reported a significantly improved perception of respiration. Click here to read more.
All prices include taping and materials used during session.
Every taping session is customized to each client’s needs so the duration of a taping session may vary based on taping technique required. We will be happy to discuss your case during the initial assessment.
Schedule your initial assessment
Wear and Care
Download helpful information on how to safely remove the tape. CBM_Kinesio Wear and Care