– 2 tablespoons EVOO
– 3/4 cup finely diced pancetta (about 3 ounces)
– 1 medium-size yellow onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
– 1 celery rib, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
– 2 small carrots, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
– 1 bay leaf
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 cups dried split green peas, rinsed
– 3 cups Blond Chicken Stock
– 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 cup diced (1/4” dice, about 5 ounces) smoked ham
– 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
– 3 tablespoons sherry, or to taste
– fresh thyme leaves or chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Heat the EVOO in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. add the pancetta and cook until it softens and begins to color, about 3 minutes. add the onion, celery, carrots and bay leaf and cook, stirring frequently until vegetables soften 8 to 10 minutes. add garlic and cook until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add the split peas, stock and 3 1/2 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let simmer slowly, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Add the salt and thyme and continue cooking, partially covered, until the split peas are tender and have begun to break down slightly, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. If you are not planning on serving the soup at the time, let it cool to room temperature. It can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 days or frozen for 2 months.
- Add the ham and let simmer until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the vinegar and sherry, if using. Serve the soup hot, sprinkled with fresh thyme leaves.
- GOODMAN, M. and HOLLAND, L., 2006. Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook. Workman Publishing Company.